Sunday, September 4, 2011

CD Review - Black John by The Soul Of John Black

“Whole new brand of soul…amazing. ”
–Rolling Stone Magazine



Release Date: 17 February 2009

Genre: Soul/Blues/Rock/Experimental

Publisher: (C) 2009 Eclecto Groove Records / Delta Groove Music, Inc.

Label: Eclecto Groove Records

Time: 51m 01s

Review Date:16-April-2009

Format: CD

JivePK™: http://jivepk.jivewired.com/thesoulofjohnblack


Click image to purchase from Amazon

Track Listing:

01. Black John 4:08
02. Betty Jean 4:07
03. Ever Changin' Emotions 4:17
04. Last Forever 3:46
05. Bottom Chick 3:43
06. I Knew A Lady 5:32
07. White Dress 3:51
08. Never Givin' Up 4:38
09. Better Babe 4:43
10. Push Into The The Night 3:58
11. Holiday Inn 5:00
12. Thinking About You 2:27

Review:

The name is somewhat confusing but the best way to describe it is that The Soul Of John Black is a musical group with a virtual all-star cast led and directed by John "JB" Bigham, aka "John Black" on lead guitar and lead vocals. Together, TSOJB create a cocksure collection of soul and roots blues reminiscent of Al Green.

JB boats an impeccable resume, having collaborated with Miles Davis, both writing and playing on Davis' last studio LP. Bigham has also played with artists as varied as Eminem, Dr. Dre, Rosey, Joi, Nikka Costa, Bruce Hornsby and Everlast.

First and foremost, the compositions, arrangements and production stand head and shoulders above everything. To be sure this is a polished effort musically, and Bigham himself uses incendiary acoustic slide guitar to produce a pure roots sound. Combine that with elements of soul, funk, hip-hop and a little rock and you have a whole new genre-defying eclectic sound.

Additionally, Bigham's alternately throaty and honeyed voice floats effortlessly over the slickly produced bed of rootsy blues accompaniment to enhance this captivating production. Add the Al Green passion and emotion and "Black John" instantly becomes a classic and must-have effort.

The stand out tracks are 'Betty Jean', 'Push Into The Night', 'Last Forever' and the soulful closing songs, 'Holiday Inn' and 'Thinking About You', which is my absolute favorite. Expect big things from The Soul Of John Black and get the CD right away.

~ Michael Canter Jivewired.com

About The Soul Of John Black:



The Soul Of John Black is the nom de musique of John Bigham, whose impressive resume includes a stint as percussionist with the Miles Davis band, eight years of guitar and keyboard work with the pioneering rock-funk-ska band Fishbone, and touring and session work with Dr. Dré, Eminem, Nikka Costa, Bruce Hornsby and Everlast, just to name a few.

"I never intended to be a performer," Bigham says. "I loved music and wanted to be a part of it, but by picking up a guitar, coming to California and telling people I was a musician, I put things in motion. Somebody told somebody else I was a musician, then next thing I knew, I was in Paris playing with Miles Davis. When Miles first asked me if I could play percussion, I said yes, even though I'd never played percussion, because I knew how percussion should sound, and I knew I could do it. He said “Show me,' and I did, and that was it."

The arrangements blend blues, folk, funk, rock, country, classic soul, Gospel and world music, but Bigham doesn't spend a lot of time planning out his line of attack. "I have my own style, but I have no preconceived notions about what a song's going to sound like. I get it down by feel and instinct, just doing what comes naturally. It's the same approach I've taken to my entire career, and my life, for that matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment